About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Saturday 24 December 2011

Merry Christmas!! Days 69 - 77: Florida, Key West, Cozumel, Honduras, Sea, Jamaica, Sea, Florida, Sea

December 24, 2011 13:26

I can't believe it's Christmas Eve.

It really feels like it was just yesterday that I came onboard and I really can't believe all that I've done in the past two and a half months. It really just seems surreal.  I think the other thing that makes today that much more odd is that I'm now half way through my contract. Another couple months and I'll be home again.  At this point I haven't got anything set in place for what I'm doing next other than sitting at home and playing video games for about a week and then going down south with some buddies.  As for as my next job goes I'm still completely undecided at what I want to do and what the right move is.  I could do another contract, try for Disney, a resort somewhere down here or look at a move to a big US city.  So many options so little time… 

Christmas onboard is an odd experience.  I woke up this morning and it was just like any other day whereas any other year today would be very unique if not routine.  Wake up, shower, head to my parents, make spaghetti, have our Wedgwood family over for Christmas Eve, drink some beer, play some Monopoly, watch Muppet Family Christmas, and head to bed.  My day today however is work 7-12, off 12-5 which I'm spending writing and soon to be napping, work 5-9, do our secret santa gift exchange during work, then after that have some drinks with my ship family to celebrate the evening. Very different.  This is the second year in a row I'm not going to be home for Christmas and I can safely say I don't like it. I need to find a way to be home for the Holidays next year.

Despite the fact I haven't written in over a week (yikes, the time's going fast) anyone that reads this hasn't really missed much.  I've been extremely tired pretty well all the time lately and have even skipped going out in a port to catch up on some precious sleep.  That being said I had one of my best days onboard on our last cruise when were at Isla de Roatan, Honduras.

Isla de Roatan is a small island off the coast of Honduras and is primarily spanish speaking.  The last time we were here my shift had to stay onboard so I didn't get a chance to see more than I could see through the window.  This time however we had the whole day off so we hopped a cab and headed for the beach.  At the beach we were greeted by two things that right away told me it was going to be a good day. First the sand was pure white and as soft as icing sugar. Second I found a guy selling 3 beer for $5; jackpot.  We grabbed lunch at a restaurant on the beach where I had some coconut shrimp done with fresh coconut before heading out for a swim.  During the swim we decided we were going to fork over some cash to go for a ride on a big inflatable that gets drug behind a motorboat.  This thing looked like a big yellow banana and sat six.  We loaded up and headed straight out from the beach.  With 6 people and no real means of balance it was clear right away that we weren't likely to stay dry on this ride.  This was quickly realized when they took the first turn and we flipped off into the ocean all getting a healthy helping of sea water at the same time.  When we went over there were so many bodies flailing around that I just covered my head and waited for my life jacket to bring me to the surface; what a rush!  As we got the salt water out of our eyes we realized that we were floating in the clearest water I've ever seen.  It was a deep blue as you looked down but so clear that you could count the wrinkles on your toes.  We loaded back up and got a bit better at balancing but still ate it two more times with some of the girls loosing their bottoms along the way. Luckily they didn't completely lose them… They found them quickly around their knees and after a short yelling/laughing fit re-secured their swim wear.  When we returned to the beach I went to find my cheap beer man before logging on the beach until we had to return to the ship. It was one of those days that makes me grateful to be where I am right now.

Aside from that it was business as usual onboard.  I did however realize how quickly the remainder of my contract is going to go.  From here on out there's all dates I'll be looking forward to.  Jan 1: New Year's Day in Cozumel, Jan 6-9: "Holy Ship" DJ cruise with Fatboy Slim among others, Jan 9-14: "Jam Cruise" another rock type cruise, Feb 11-18: Mom and Dad come for a cruise, Feb 23: My birthday, and then I'm finished on March 17th.  If I thought the first half of my contract went by quickly I'm guessing I haven't seen anything yet.  

That being said, if you or someone you know wants to hire me come April let me know. I'm always looking for my next challenge.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment