About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Day 87: Sea Day (Strange day)


January 3, 2011 at 21:42

Look at me go, two days in a row and on a sea day on top of that.  Mind you today was a slightly odd sea day…

As far as the guests go it was business as usual mind you whenever we go from Roatan to Jamaica the seas are typically pretty rough as we're cutting straight across the Caribbean Sea.  Today it was even rougher still and even down here on deck 4 standing in one place some times was an issue.  Because of this we were giving out dramamine non stop at the desk as the queazy passengers lined up for salvation.  As usual I had a blast. :)

This morning just as my shift was ending was when things got a little strange.  First I got a call from Mandy saying I needed to go to the Staff Captain's office.  First of all Staff Captain is only one down from the Captain as far as ranking goes. Second, I've never spoken to the guy. Third you typically on see him when you're in some type of trouble.  Understandably I was confused and slightly concerned.  I asked Mandy about it but she didn't have any more info about it other than that I was supposed to head up then and there.  

I found my way to deck 12 (where it was REALLY rocking) and into his office where he was waiting and welcomed me with a smile and by name.  He then presented me with a page that had random letters on it and told me that the Captain had asked him to make a short English sentence containing the 8 or 9 letters.  The letters didn't have to be in any particular order or even the first letter of the words, they jus had to be included. Odd…  At this point it almost felt like a psych evaluation of some sort. Even more so when I saw the phrase I came up with "I went sailing far from you".  OK, now it really felt like a psych evaluation.

Staff Captain thanked me for my help and I formally introduced myself and shook his hand before leaving and that was it.  I told Mandy about it when I got back down and she was still just as confused as I was.  Mandy said that he had called Teresa and then Teresa asked Mandy to get me. I'm still fairly curious about the whole thing and plan to ask Teresa tomorrow if he asked for me specifically or if she volunteered me. Either way it was all very strange.  

On top of this I found out some news that I can't yet discuss incase anyone onboard reads this but it will impact all of us in the next month or so…

It was an odd Tuesday to say the least...

2 comments: