About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Days 93-103: Florida, Sea, Labadee, Falmouth, Sea, Florida, Key West, Cozumel, Roatan, Sea


January 18, 2012 at 19:37

Jeeze another 10 days gone, and an interesting 10 days at that.

As you all know at this point we had a little incident off the coast of the Bahamas. Well because of this I now know what it feels like when the ship hits something.  While sleeping after going out in Falmouth I was sleeping when I felt the same feeling.  I was half asleep at the time and just thought to myself that there was no way, right? I mean there's no way we could hit something again right? Wrong.  

I fell back to sleep and thought nothing of it until I woke up and went to work at 11 that night.  It was then that I found out that while leaving the port we hit the pier and then proceeded to take out a channel marker. Who's driving this thing anyway?!

Our ship has been cleared to still be seaworthy but supposedly has 8-9 holes in the outer layer of the hull. So because our hull is like swiss cheese we haven't been able to go top speed so things like medical emergency air lifts and such put us WAY back time wise.

Oh yea, on top of the whole, grounding, pier hitting thing we had a guy at the end of Jam Cruise who thought it would be a good idea to climb the big screen we have on the top deck and then fall off.  For his efforts he was rewarded with a broken pelvis. Way to go bud.  Because he was in such rough shape though he had to be air lifted off the ship and to US authorities in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Hidden in all of this was a very successful and fun Jam Cruise.  Jam Cruise is similar to Holy Ship! except instead of DJs it's loads of jam musicians and bands onboard for a 5 day cruise.  The music was great and the passengers very was to get along with.  Because of this nights were much more chill.  I'd say this was primarily because on Holy Ship! everyone was taking uppers, young, and constantly loosing their keys.  On Jam everyone was bit older, taking downers, and more responsible when it came to things like their keys.  On top of all that they were smoking so much weed that the whole ship smelled like it.  Overall Jam was a great experience but still I was ready for it to end and to go back to normal passengers and issues.  No one climbs the screen on a normal cruise. :)

Just as Jam was ending we found out about the disaster with the Costa Concordia.  I can safely say that this story would have interested me regardless but part of the industry and on top of that on a ship that had "technical difficulties" only days before the Costa incident really made it hit home.  Everyone on board has been talking about it and glued to the TV or newspapers whenever new news comes out.

I got to spend the day at the Royal Caribbean owned Labadee in Haiti.  Visually the landscape was incredible however where we were wasn't exactly an authentic experience but it was a great day regardless.  Spent the whole day on the beach sipping beer, and soaking up the sun.  I also went for a few nice long snorkels to check out the local reefs.  Nothing really extraordinary but the usual abundance of small colourful fish and sea urchins.  I've also officially decided that it's time to get a proper camera and the order has been placed. My new waterproof camera should be showing up in time for our next trip to Fort Lauderdale. Bring on the good photos!

I was about to start this last paragraph by saying that "not much else happened" until I thought about it again and realized just how much has happened. I guess that's why it's so easy to miss writing for so many days.  I go back to nights on the 28th and it can't come soon enough.  Being able to go out in every port was something that I very quickly got used to and can't wait to have again.

That's all for now. Maybe it'll be less than 10 days before my next post. Only time will tell.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment