About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Thursday 10 November 2011

1 Month Onboard! Days 28, 29, 30, and 31: Sea Day, Cozumel (kinda), Sea Day, Fort Lauderdale


November 11, 2011 00:43

I've been the laziest blogger lately and for those of you who enjoy reading my random ramblings I apologize for this. I've been so tired and over worked lately that sleep and beer have won over blogging the past few nights, sorry.

On the plus side, you haven't missed out on much. Sea days and all pretty much the same. Busy and work and nothing exciting when I'm not working. And Cozumel was just a tease this time around. On the desk we take turns getting off for the whole day when we're at a port we go to more than once and it was our turn to work all day while the other shift played all day.

Before I get to the Cozumel day though, I first need to address a couple things from my post that were raised to me in and email from mom. I said I had a great meal in Costa Rica but didn't tell you what it was and there was a picture of 3 random girls who went unidentified. My bad. The meal was a chicken breast seasoned in some local manor the tasted awesome with rice and black beans. To top it off there were friend plantains that tasted amazing. Sweet and delicious, yum. The girls are Rosanna, Roberta, and Tina. Rosanna works at accounting, Roby and Tina work with me at reception and I spend pretty much 24hours with them. These are the people in my life these days. :)

The day in Cozumel actually wasn't so bad. I had lots of work to catch up on so with all the passengers on shore I was able to do 5.5 hours of comment corrections which really made the time fly by and I actually forgot were were in a great location until I got a call from Cheryl, Anatollio, and Renetia from shore to tell me about how drunk they were and the great time they were having. Thanks jerks, love you too.

On one of the sea days, I went to eat at our fine dining restaurant Obelisco with my buddy Patrick from reception. There was a promo of $20 for a 4 course dinner and whereas we typically eat crap onboard we couldn't pass it up. The food was AMAZING. I had a seafood app with salmon, and king crap followed by john dory stuffed ravioli which were both fantastic and wrapped up with a nice cheesecake. The star of the meal however was my main course which was a pistachio crusted lamb with blueberry sauce. Now, in my life I've eaten a lot of lamb and I can safely say it's my favourite red meat. That being said this was hands down the BEST lamb I've ever, ever had. The chef cooked it perfectly and when paired with the pistachio crust and the blueberry sauce it literally melted in your mouth. Let's put it this way; the ship could have gone down and I wouldn't of cared as long as I was able to finish my main. Wow it was good.

Today was disembarkation/embarkation in Fort Lauderdale. These days are typically crazy but today actually went by pretty smoothly. We do however have a 300 person group that embarked today called "invasion" or "ingaysion" if you will…. Yup, we're currently dominated onboard by boys who like boys and that spells trouble for me. Already tonight I've got a story to tell…

As I was nearing the end of my shift I had my head down doing some work. Roby (Roberta) poked me and told me to look up. Not sure what she wanted I stopped and looked ahead. On the stairs in front of me were 6-8 of the guys that had stopped on the stairs to get a good peek at yours truly. When they saw that I had looked up they scattered like cockroaches exposed to light. Needless to say it's going to be an interesting few days… Oy.

We're at sea tomorrow before hitting Key West on Saturday and Nassau on Sunday. The most disappointing bit about all this is that my great friend Darby is going to be in Nassau on Tuesday. I can't believe I'm missing her by 2 days. :(

That's all for now folks. I'm finally caught back up and I'll do my best to stay on top of things again. Bed time for me now, night.

1 comment:

  1. Look what you wrote: "I had a seafood app with salmon, and king crap." How was the crap? Other than that, your meal sounded amazing!
    Remember, wear your "cup" til this cruise is over!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete