About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Day 27: Puerto Limon, Costa Rica


November 9, 2011 15:45

Ah Costa Rica, a great day that started off so poorly...

So I started work at 7am and as usual my alarm went off at 5:55 then 6:05 to start my day. I hopped out of bed and into the shower to start my usual morning routine. As I was finishing up my shower, I checked my watch in the bathroom to see how I was doing for time. 7:19… Hmm, that's odd. I could of sworn I had already changed it back a couple days earlier for day light savings, better check my iPhone and iPad when I get out, something's odd. When I came out of the washroom Anatollio told me that the desk had called to tell me I was late for work! WTF!? I checked my iPhone and iPad, sure enough they both read and hour earlier than the watch in the bathroom. At this point I knew that something had gone wrong but it still made no sense. When I came onboard I turned off the "Set Automatically" feature to avoid something like this from happening. Turns out that 2 days prior when the ship had done day light savings it wasn't actually the day for daylight savings and that it actually happened over night and my clocks automatically adjusted themselves thus making me late for work. Jerks.

So that was fun. Luckily it happened to about half the staff and a ton of the guests so management just brushed it all off which was good because being late equals an extra hour of work and I couldn't' afford that on this day because I was meeting my good buddy Jeslyn who I went to NSCC with.

There's something extra special about seeing a familiar face in a completely foreign place. We came out of the port and I didn't' really know where or how I was going to find her when out of sheer dumb luck I saw her sitting in a little coffee shop across the street. After some yelling and hugging it was off to the beach!

We met a nice cabby who was the proud father of 16 kids (buddy, you need some condoms) who took us to this little touristy place on the beach where we were able to get my best local meal yet and then head into the crystal clear water.

There's something about being able to see my feet when I'm in water that's up to my shoulders that just makes me smile. The only bit about today that was a bummer was how quickly it all went by. The food was great, the swimming was spectacular and getting to spend time with a true friend was the best of all.

To date this was my best time ashore even if it was only for a few hours. :)

2 comments:

  1. So, are you going to tell us who are the 3 chickies that you picked up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, I'm with your Mom, you seem to be doing really well HAHA! Sorry it took me so long to get onto this blog, but I can honestly say that I have been laughing my ass off for nearly every entry. Miss your smile, Shadow! Keep writing, I need to live vicariously through you!!

    ReplyDelete