About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Days 32 (Sea Day), 33 (Key West), 34 (Bahamas), 35 (Fort Lauderdale),36 (Sea Day)


November 15, 2011 17:25

So just as I got all caught up on my days my google account had some "suspicious activity" logged form Dubai and as a result shut me out. This locked me out of my email and blog which was a bit of a worry. The tricky part was to get it back I needed to enter a code that was texted to me. Kinda tough to do when at sea and I've cancelled my cell. Luckily when we got back to Fort Lauderdale I was able to pop my sim back in and use it long enough to get what I needed. Those few mins will prob jack my final bill up nicely but it's one of those things that had to be done. A pain in the ass but at least it's covered.

ANYWAY, enough of that boring stuff. Let's see, what's happened over the past 5 days… Well we had the fun boys onboard who actually weren't nearly as crazy as we had expected. The only day it was a little much was when they came back onboard after Key West all boozed up and screaming. There was a group of them in the lobby cheering and yelling whenever another from the group came back onboard but aside from a few blatant dick grabs it was just another group of drunk passengers. It only really got ridiculous when one of them thought that while drunk, wearing a sailor hat and no shirt was a good time to come and complain about something random. Or maybe he wasn't even complaining, maybe that's just how he talked… Who knows.

I don't have much to say about Key West because it was another one of those trade off days where we worked all day and will get off all day next time. The crappy part was I didn't have anywhere near the amount of work to do as I did last time we worked all day in port so the day crawled by. No worries tho, Tina and I passed the day by having a rubber band war. Gotta work with what you've got.

Nassau however was a different story. It was our turn to get out for the day and we were ready and willing. We finished work at 11:30 and bombed off the ship and headed straight for SeƱor Frogs. We grabbed some margaritas and had a nice lunch while being entertained by the staff, and their schinanigans. As expected it was nice and ridiculous in there and right out of the gates shots were being passed around and everyone was having a good time. Eventually they started running a trivia game where they played the theme song to a movie or TV show with the prize being, you guessed it, more shots. Luckily I'm an 80s baby and so when they played Duck Tales and Inspector Gadget I was right on the ball and won myself some free booze.

The water was this incredible aqua blue and after sitting next to it for a while we just had to find a way in. On top of that we could see a private hotel beach from where we were sitting so beach time was teasing us. We found out that the beach was part of the Hilton and after a short walk we found the front door. Getting access was much easier than anticipated. We simply walked into the hotel, out the back and onto the beach. Easy as pie. The water wasn't as warm as it was in Columbia or Costa Rica but still felt amazing. The extra nice bit about it being a private beach was that there were no crazy locals trying to sell us crap and there were beach chairs! After a dip I had a nice nap on the beach before the wind blew some dark clouds in and the beach lost it's appeal. We walked around town for a bit and called it a day. When we're back we're def gonna go check out Atlantis instead of pissing away time in the uneventful town and shanty shops.

We hit Fort Lauderdale again the next day but this time I didn't have much time on shore as I started work at 11 and worked pretty well all day. (Gotta love 11 hour embarkation days). Tina and I got up early and headed into town in search of a dive shop. After a few swim days and not being able to see what was underwater we were both fed up and with places like Cozumel on the horizon a good mask and snorkel was def in need. We found a shop and a nice set, grabbed some breakfast and headed back to the ship for the shit show that ensued.

Currently onboard we have what's call "Shiprocked" which is essentially a music festival on the water. We've got bands like Hinder, Buckcherry and Filter and assorted others playing gigs around the ship and about 1000 tattooed up rock fans to go with. That's all well and good and they're great people but the issue comes from the 1500 others who didn't realize that Shiprocked was going on the same time as they had planned a quiet relaxing cruise. Unfortunately it makes for some very upset and disappointed guests. To help deal with the complaints and extra late night traffic I'll be working until 1:30 this morning; can't wait for that one.

Tomorrow we're in Costa Maya and my shift will be onboard all day. The day after however we'll be in Cozumel and I plan to do nothing but drink stiff drinks, eat fajitas, snorkel and be in the sun all day. It's going to be amazing.

Anyway now that my account is back up and running I'll see if I can't actually stay up to date on my writing. Who know's what the coming days will yield… Ciao!

It's like the ship watches us no matter where we are.

View from where I had lunch.

Downtown Nassau

Hilton's private beach.

2 comments:

  1. It's a tough life you have Drew!! Looks amazing, I hope you're having fun! How long will you be working on the ship?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that photo from where you had lunch!

    ReplyDelete