About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Day 37: Costa Maya, Mexico… kinda


November 16, 2011 23:12

Two days in a  row! Maybe I'm actually back on pace with this whole blog thing.  I just need to leave myself a couple mins before I go to bed each night and I can get back on pace with actually writing about the day that happened as it happened.

So as I mentioned yesterday we've got this ShipRocked thing onboard right now which is pretty cool. I just wish they sold out the ship as opposed to selling only half the ship cause then we wouldn't have to worry about any noise issues.  So last night when I got off work I headed down to the theatre to check out a band called Sevendust.  Personally I'd never heard them before but I knew the name and know that they're a pretty popular metal band.  Basically I figured I might as well check out a free concert of a big band when I had the chance.  It didn't get started until 2am but it was worth the wait. It was really cool to go to a metal show in our classy 1200 person theatre. Even cooler because there were prob only 300-500 people there for this.  There's something special about a show for a crowd that small and these guys gave it their all. It was cool too because I think it was pretty special for them too because at one point their lead singer said "Thank you guys for being here. This is the latest gig we've ever played. I can't believe we're playing on a ship in the middle of the sea in the middle of the night."  Shit like this makes the shit I deal with at work not seem to mater so much.  The this morning I'm working away minding my own business when  these guys and their wives come asking normal questions about the port and whatnot when I realize that they were the guys from the band we saw the night before.  Very normal, cool and nice people. I love when people don't let success go to their heads.

Today was pretty lame. We worked all day while the other crew got to spend time on shore. This isn't wasn't a big deal until Mandy (my boss) realized that she messed up and that we're only in Costa Maya once.  But you know what? Mistakes happen and that's ok. The thing that drives me crazy is that I checked to see if the other crew were still on shore and I found out that they were ALL ON BOARD!!! They pissed away the afternoon napping in their cabins on a beautiful 35C sunny day while we worked away a beautiful day without the ability to leave. Oh well, what's done is done. Tomorrow's a new day and I'll feel better.

So that was my not so exciting day in Costa Maya. My only saving grace was a cold beer with Roby and Tina after work and then Shameem dragging me out of my cabin to join her in the crew bar for a bit before bed. I guess that's what friends are for. :)

Tomorrow we hit Cozumel and we work til 11 then are off until 5. Can you say day drunk?  I can't wait. I guess right off the end of the pier is a bar called Margaritaville where there's good drinks, good food, free wifi, and swimming right off the pier. I can't wait.

1 comment: