About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Day 3 Charlottetown

No clue about this blog thing but I know that life on the boat is very odd. EVERYTHING is Italian and as someone who's first language is English I'm a HUGE minority.

Just a simple post to see if this thing works. More later... maybe?

More!
Every day things start to get a little better and dare I say "normal". Despite not speaking the same languages I'm starting to build some bonds with the people I work with.

Step one of socializing I think is complete. There are 4 guys I already have a decent relationship with. I work with Anatholio (Madagascar) and Patrick (Italy) who are both pretty cool. Toni's English is quite good so he's a bit easier to talk to than Pat but it's all good. Then I've got my roommate Bernardo (Italy) who works elsewhere on the ship. We talk about girls and tech, can't go wrong with that! And then today I met Oscar from of all places CHICAGO!!! When I found out he was from the states I couldn't help but hug the guy. You don't realize how nice it is to talk to someone normally until you can't for a few days.

Today we were in Charlottetown and I got off the boat for an hour and a half. Didnt do any sight seeing but I did find a coffee shop and some wifi so I could look at my awful fantasy football teams. The coffee was amazing but maybe that's just because I tried the staff coffee at breakfast today which tasted like shit drug through tar. Note to self, get Nescafe French vanilla instant coffee when I'm in Hali... A lot of it. Talking about food, the staff meals are pretty crappy. Only real constantly safe options are salad and rolls. As for dressing we have one option, Italian of course.

Tomorrow's my first sea day as we travel to Quebec City. The other staff talk about it like it's a bad thing but I see any chance to talk with our English guests as a gift.

My writing style for these is crap because I do them on my phone then upload them later. It's also the last thing I do before bed and I'm typically pooped after my regular 9 hour days. It's kinda like camp on steroids. Night!

Ps. Must learn Italian...
Pps. Check out my sweet in bunk tv aka iPad stuck to the wall using the smart cover

2 comments:

  1. Yea! Can't wait to see your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be with you everyday, honey! I can't believe you're typing all of this on your phone! Love you!

    ReplyDelete