About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Sunday 30 October 2011

Days 19 & 20: NYC and Sea Day


Oct 30, 2011 21:40

Sorry about no post yesterday. Embarkation days are busy and very long and when I got off at 11 and had to be back at 6:30 this morning I made the executive to scrap the blog for the day.

Embarkation this time around wasn't nearly as crazy as it was last week as we only brought on 1600 passengers this time as opposed to 2500 like last week.  I had a nice start to the day and was greeted with of all things, snow!  I couldn't believe it. It kept getting colder and colder and next thing you knew there was heavy clumpy snow falling and after that pure, beautiful, small snow. It looked like it was the middle of winter. It was the perfect sendoff. As the guests came onboard I just kept reminding them we'd be in Florida in 2 days. 

I did my first "ship visit" yesterday too. All it really is is a tour of the ship for local travel agents so they can get a better idea of what the ship's like.  A lot of my co-workers complain about having to do these. I loved it. The agent's were great to deal with and it got me away from the desk for a couple hours. I don't see what's not to love.  I instantly told our group coordinator that she can give me those every time she needs one done. 

Now that we've left the North East I've lost my competitive advantage of knowing the area and to make matters even worse it seems like every guest we have speaks either german, italian, or russian thus making me pretty useless to a lot of our guests.  I try to let people know as quickly as possible but I don't have a sweet clue what they're saying but it's still tough. My favourite is when they realize I don't understand them but then they ramble on as if some how I'm going to miraculously start knowing what they're saying.  I just try my best to look dumbfounded  when this happens.

Don't really have much else to add. I will however leave you all with easily the best English fail I've seen yet.  The following sentence is directly off our main cruise info page that's circulated around the ship for the crew.

"Durin the night between 03/11/11 & 04/11/11 the ship's clock will be RETARDED by one hour."

Another sea day tomorrow then Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Are you noticing a marked difference in outside air temperatures yet? JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. удача
    Viel Glück!
    buona fortuna
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete