About Me

Follow my travels and get insight from behind the scenes as I work my 6 month contract as a Guest Service representative onboard a cruise ship.

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Day 8 Saint John

Oct 18, 2011 23:00
I can't believe it's been a week already. It's strange because although it seems like last Monday was so long ago at the same time it feels like it was just yesterday, ship time is a strange thing.

So I guess this is my week 1 status update and I'm pleased to say that my only real complaint is the food. Overall it's been a good experience so far and we haven't even started going to the fun places yet! I'm picking up the job very quickly and am already quickly becoming a favourite amongst the guests and the staff seem to be taking to me well also. It sounds lame but I counted how many friends I have on board now. I needed more than one hand which I consider to be quite an accomplishment!

Today I found my new favourite place on the ship. There is a staff area all the way at the front of the ship where, when we reach the Caribbean, we'll be able to get some sun. For today however it was a great spot to watch the smelly city of Saint John as we disembarked and made our way back out to sea. Right now it's very serene and I don't think it's well known by a lot of the staff. For now I think the best part of it is that it's somewhere I can go to get away from everything. My bunk, crew bar, the guests, the staff, everything. Today I went out with my iPad and just sat and read for a while. Who cares if it was only 15C, the fresh air was wonderful and the sun was hot and that's all I need.

The pictures today are of the stunning sun rise, my big ass home away from home, a shot from the bow webcam where you can see me reading by the anchor, the scene as we left Saint John and then the sun setting over the city. Bye for now!

3 comments:

  1. Drew,
    I read the first entry when you first put it up and am back again today! Add me to your list of visitors, as I'm sure I will be on weekly to read more! Glad you found a spot that for now, is a place to be alone- I can imagine it would be hard to find on a boat with so many people. Can't wait to hear more about life on the boat,
    Chantelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it seems like you've been there longer than a week! And, I'm not at all surprised at your fast growing list of peeps!

    ReplyDelete